TRUST Blog Post, November 2019
“When life gives you a gift, receive it with all your heart.” – Enid Ivanov
This past year has been such a gift that I welcomed with a full heart! My time as TRUST President is coming to an end and it truly has been one of the greatest gifts to serve you all.
As the year comes to a close, I think of a few Women’s Health Leadership TRUST highlights from 2019:
- 40th Anniversary – We toasted the TRUST’s 40th anniversary and looked creatively to envision how we can shape the next 40 years.
- Forum – Nearly 900 attendees of the 2019 Forum heard from keynote speaker and health care industry expert, Archelle Georgiou, MD, as she shared insights on how to intentionally re-invent oneself. And we presented awards to 19 women who are positively impacting health care in Minnesota, the nation, and in some cases, across the globe.
- Inaugural Well-Being Retreat – Our first annual well-being retreat featured more than a dozen presenters on a comprehensive range of topics related to mindfulness, movement and well-being. This event was extra special for me as it was a vision I had when I joined the board. Thank you to everyone who made it an amazing experience!
- Impact! Mentoring Program – We reformatted our popular mentoring program and collaborated with Menttium, a local company led by TRUST member Lynn Sontag
- Voice of the Customer – We actively listened to you, our TRUST members, to look carefully at the ways we gather information from members and non-members as we plan all of the TRUST’s efforts. As part of this work, a new member survey will be used.
- Refreshed Mission – We updated our mission to better summarize why we exist. Our refreshed mission is: The Women’s Health Leadership TRUST is an inclusive network whose members support, inspire and offer insights to women leaders in health care.
- Collaborative Women Leaders – We engaged with fellow women leaders and organizations determined to elevate women along their leadership journeys. One such example was partnering with TeamWomen Executive Director Katy Burke and Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal Market President and Publisher Kathy Robideau to present at the TRUST Annual Meeting in October.
And there are far more accomplishments from the year as the result of the unwavering dedication from the TRUST Board members and committee members who created inspiring events and experiences for members.
It has been a true pleasure to serve the members of the Women’s Health Leadership TRUST and to serve alongside my esteemed Board members. My great thanks to Leslie Bodell, our incoming TRUST President for 2020, for all she has done since joining the Board in 2017. It has been my privilege to serve with her and I welcome her leadership as President next year.
As I end my term as TRUST President, I hope you’ll take this advice to heart: Cherish every moment you have. Seize unique opportunities. Realize the gifts you are given and accept them with an open heart. And perhaps most importantly, for every gift you are given in life, take the time to give something back and you will be better for it.
Thank you all for your friendship, dedication, and service to the Women’s Health Leadership TRUST!
Monica Engel currently serves as TRUST President, Senior Vice President and President of Government Markets at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, and board member for MN Council of Health Plans. Engel holds a degree in business management and has completed the Minnesota Management Institute program from the University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management. She is a 2019 Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal Women in Business Honoree and in 2017 received the “Women of Excellence” award from the Dakota County Regional Chamber of Commerce.